Laundry Makeover

Monday, August 01, 2016

A couple of months ago, I really wanted to makeover my laundry room.  I wanted the laundry room to feel special.  I didn't want it to look like an after thought.  It's nice having a large sink in the laundry, but mine was looking pretty shabby.  So, I decided to gel stain the laminate with my left over Minwax Wiping Stain in Natural Chestnut.

I had no idea if the wiping stain would adhere to the laminate and I was in no mood to sand it.  After cleaning, I used a paintbrush and painted the entire laminate sink top with wiping stain.  And it adhered very well! I painted two coats and allowed it to dry overnight in between coats.  I wanted it to look like real wood which is why I let the brush strokes show through.  I added some left over tile around the sink with no grouting at all.  I used SimpleMat to stick my tiles to the wall.  

Once I was finished, I thought the sink looked too dark-not the coastal look I was going for.  So I decided to use leftover paint (Sherwin Williams Anew Gray) to brush broad strokes on top of the wiping stain.  I let it dry overnight and added one coat of poly.  (I also added the shelf behind the washer and dryer.)  The paint and wiping stain adhered well and I've had no problems with chipping.

Tip: You will need plenty of ventilation because of the strong smells from these products.  I would even recommend purchasing a heavy duty mask.  It took a couple of days before the smells were completely gone.

I really like how this DIY project turned out! It looks like beachy weathered wood! 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Shop

Like Facebook Page

Pinterest